How to make a dirndl skirt

April 10th, 2009
I had lunch with a friend today (who I just found out is preggo, YAY!!!!) and I’m in a bit of a silly mood, so I decided to don my cowboy boots & this dirndl skirt I recently made. A friend of mine found these boots in a vintage store in Melbourne a few years ago, and bought them for me as they were my size, fate!! Also wearing: Vintage bangle from my MIL, Swarovski broach a gift from same friend. The skirt is made from vintage fabric, and has one of the many beautiful buttons my MIL got for me in Paris as the closure, I love love love it!! Oh yeah, and please forgive my tragic hair… it’s A-grade crazy today. One of the unfortunate things about having curly hair is that it has a mind of it’s own… and sometimes, you just can’t control it, no matter what you do!

In case you don’t know, a dirndl skirt is basically a skirt with a gathered waist. The concept comes from traditional german costume, isn’t that cool? Anyway this is one of the simplest and cutest skirts to make, as you just need to be able to cut rectangles for the pattern pieces. Seriously who can’t do that? I think it makes it a really great beginner project. I’ve made heaps and they always end up being total wardrobe staples.

Anyway, if you’d like to make one too, here’s a downloadable pdf tutorial for my dirndl skirt (it also includes instructions on how to make a dirndl skirt from a pillowcase, if you have jumped on the bandwagon and fallen in love with raiding your linen closet!).

Happy Easter!

1. Julia says:

Cute skirt and perfect accessories. I finally made my great nieces’ pillowcase dresses. I will post about them soon.

2. becks says:

you have the best shoe collection ever! love this skirt, off to make one! thanks.

3. Alviana says:

soo cute. It’s so easy to make and turn out soo pretty, I’ll try it someday. Thnx for sharing :)

4. Alli says:

This is super cute – love it!

5. Meg says:

Thanks ladies!
    Becks – I have a “little” bit of a shoe problem… it’s a total weakness of mine!

6. JacRan says:

GAH! I wish this was posted two nights ago so that I could’ve made one to wear today for Easter! (Here in Australia!) Love it, I will make one anyways. Happy Easter. I’ll eat a Cadbury creme egg for ya! ;)

7. Rachel says:

I love the outfit and the boots are fantastic.

8. Timmy says:

Absolutely lovely…I am so trying this one out. You make it sound so easy, hopefully mine looks as good as yours

9. Trina says:

So cute! I hope to try this soon!

10. Mochachocolata Rita says:

justtt the skirts i love…and the bangle…come to mama

11. lorrwill says:

Your tutorial is AWESOME and seriously, if you decide to get rid of the bangle, just let me know, ‘k?

12. Love the dirndl skirt and can’t wait to try it out but I don’t see where you download or open the tutorial. If you could email it to me that would be great! Thanks!

13. Megan says:

Hi Kristen, I’m glad you like the skirt. If you click on the underlined words ‘pdf tutorial’ in the post it will open the pdf tutorial for you to save or print.

14. [...] OK so if you would like to make a dirndl too here’s a downloadable tutorial. [...]

15. [...] recently, that I’ve actually only written a tutorial for a dirndl skirt (you can download it here if you’d like it)… oops! So I’m going to try and rectify that over the next few [...]

16. I love all the beautiful feminine pieces here! And that skirt is so beautiful, as all of your creations are :-)

17. LilMt says:

This was great! You rox! I luv this! I practically wear it everyday! Thanks! You rox! Again

18. laura says:

Hey megan,
    Just to say your tutorial gave me some great inspiration so I have linked you in my blog with my own finished article! Thank you so much for such clear help xx

19. [...] recently, that I’ve actually only written a tutorial for a dirndl skirt (you can download it here if you’d like it)… oops! So I’m going to try and rectify that over the next few [...]

20. [...] OK so if you would like to make a dirndl too here’s a downloadable tutorial. [...]

21. Kimmy says:

Just tried this tonight, it took less than 3 hours! I am JUST starting to sew and this was easy to follow and ended up being just beautiful!

Thank you so much!

22. [...] didn’t turn out evenly and I had to take the waistband back off and try again) Helpful Hints: Megan Nielsen’s pdf tutorial for how to make a dirndl skirt This entry was posted in Ravel Rousing and tagged Butterick [...]

23. [...] Megan Nielsen, Eucalypt tank, AW2010 Skirt: Megan Nielsen, made from a pillowcase, get the tutorial here Shoes: Pebble Point Wedge c/o Modcloth Necklace: Clydes Rebirth Belt: Vintage Coach, [...]